Monday, October 31, 2011

Experiencing Where People Go "After The Bell Tolls"

August 19th, 2011

Today is Friday! TGIF!

All I hear from our esteemed, fearless, leader, Bradley Webb, alias, El Jefe - is how hard he works and that he never has any time for himself - So I thought I would, as the saying goes, “walk a day in the shoes of “El Jefe”. So go back in time with me to a couple of weeks ago, where I showed up for work at the modern, expansive, employer of El Jefe, Cherokee Memorial Funeral Home.

I was greeted by an elated staff - They were very happy to have a “shinny” new personality to dazzle them with “brilliance“ and they were eager to test my “mettle“ in the “business“. I too was impressed with their sparkling personalities and desire to help me get a better understanding into the life of our El Jefe. Let me just start by saying this…The employees of Cherokee Memorial Funeral Home, El Jefe, excluded, really try to put the “Fun” in FUNeral home!

The first picture shows my first task was to “test drive” the “Crash Cart” - this is the cart the bodies come in on. Notice the thick cushioned padding for comfort (?) and also notice - safety first - as my brass is strapped to the cart. 




Note: Why the padded cushions(?) Why the abundance of caution with safety here? If a body falls off the cart what is going to happen, is it going to die, again?

Then I was shown the Embalming Room and placed on the Embalming Table. (Boy that table was cold - I froze my brass off). I also have to tell you that tube was long, at first I didn’t think I could take the whole thing - It was quite the experience for all involved. - I was scared that it was going to hurt - then once I was able to relax, I found it quite enjoyable. - It may have even tinkled my bell a little.. If you know what I mean?


It was now lunchtime, Brad has everyone trained! - El Jefe is always hungry, so when it is time for lunch - everything “goes dead“, so to speak, so El Jefe can eat. I was feeling a little tired at this time so I took the opportunity to go into the “display room” and take a coffin for a test ride.
You can see me resting peacefully!


After a “heavenly” hour of sleep - the staff and I enjoyed a rousing round of “Hide and Seek“. Just like Tony Romo at his bachelor party, what a great way to have a little fun and kill a little time. Those “FUN”eral home people are a riot! Anyway, see if you can find me in the picture with the Urns… I laughed so hard that I almost cracked my bell, Philly style!


Once they found me and I was no longer, “it!”. - I went into the office of El Jefe. Or, as Brad calls it - the “Nerve Center” of the whole operation. Seriously, if it was an operation, it would die of “staff infection” it is so messy! - However, notice that our fearless leader does have the Rotary plaque prominently displayed for all to see - Good for you, El Jefe!


In my last picture, you can see me dressed, like our leader, sitting in El Jefe’s executive chair, barking out commands from his “Nerve Center“… Blah blah, “I am hungry!”. Blah blah, “I never have any time for myself!” Blah blah blah, “I wish I could just stay home - sit in my underwear, eat cheetos and play Goldeneye all day long!” I can hear El Jefes’ voice “ringing” in my ears, even now, as I write this.


…There you go - a day in the Rotary life of El Jefe, alias Bradley Webb!

Accurately reported by Chica da Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment